Embrace the summertime mood tonight, folks. This evening, two parks host outdoor movie screenings and alfresco events rule.
Tonight, The Awesome Fest, the seriously-popular free summer movie series, kicks off with a screening of Riot on the Dance Floor, a documentary about a former punk venue in Trenton, New Jersey. It’s the first night of what promises to be an incredible summer of outdoor movies.
On the other side of town, the Schuylkill Banks at the Walnut Street bridge plays host to a free movie screening tonight, too. Catch Rushmore along the Schuylkill River and enjoy free food, drinks and a free raffle.
Bring a bottle of your favorite wine (or beer!) to Sister Cities Park as it hosts its weekly Pairings on the Parkway event. Listen to live music and fill up on barbecue prepared by the on-site Logan Square Cafe.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• The Awesome Fest Free Summer Movie Series at Clark Park: Celebrate night one of The Awesome Fest summer movie series with the Philadelphia premiere of Riot on the Dance Floor, a film about City Gardens, a former punk music venue in Trenton. Tonight’s screening is slated for Clark Park in West Philly and begins at 9 p.m.
When: Thursday, June 26, 9 p.m.
Where: Clark Park, 4398 Chester Avenue
• Schuylkill Banks Outdoor Movie Nights by the Walnut Street Bridge: The Schuylkill Banks gets in on the summer movie action with a screening of Rushmore tonight at 8:30 p.m. The movie is part of their summer movie series, which returns to different parts of the Schuylkill Banks every Thursday night throughout the summer. Admission to all outdoor films is completely free and free snacks, drinks and a free raffle abound at each screening, too. Guests are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner as well.
When: Thursday, June 26, 8:30 p.m.
Where: Schuylkill Banks by the Walnut Street Bridge
• Pairings on the Parkway at Sister Cities Park: Tonight, bring your own bottle of wine or beer and enjoy this great green space while Logan Square Cafe serves up barbecue hot dogs, burgers and other goodies to pair perfectly with your selection for the weekly Pairings on the Parkway at Sister Cities Park. Also enjoy live music by Ernie Halter. Pairings on the Parkway runs from 5 to 8 p.m. this evening.
When: Thursday, June 26, 5-8 p.m.
Where: Sister Cities Park, 18th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Cost: Pay as you go
• Il Volo “Italian Operatic Pop Trio” at The Mann Center: Tonight, The Philadelphia Orchestra accompanies Il Volo “Italian Operatic Pop Trio” at a performance at The Mann Center for the Performing Arts. Lawn seats start at an affordable $25. Tickets are available online.
When: Thursday, June 26, 8 p.m.
Where: The Mann, 5201 Parkside Avenue
• Cocktails In The Courtyard at the Philadelphia History Museum: Put on your party hats! The Young Friends of the Philadelphia History Museum host a garden-side cocktail party this evening, beginning at 6 p.m. Support the museum while sipping summer beer from Dock Street Brewing Company, enjoying fare from a black and white pastry bar and dancing to tunes provided by local DJ, Jaime Dillon. Guests are encouraged to wear black and white cocktail attire, think black or white dresses, suits, skirts or shirts.
When: Thursday, June 26, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia History Museum, 15 S. 7th Street
Cost: $20 for members, $25 for non-members
• Barclay Prime Summer of Rosé: Summer is the ideal time to sip rosé, and the folks at Barclay Prime raise a glass to summer with a new wine-centric promotion beginning tonight. Chef Mark Twersky is set to create appropriate meat pairings for an array of rosé wine varieties. The event aims to showcase the versatility and diversity of the Rosé wine style, as well as its natural proclivity for complementing red meat.
When: Thursday, June 26
Where: Barclay Prime, 237 S. 18th Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Brauhaus Schmitz Fifth Anniversary Celebration: Celebrate five years of Brauhaus Schmitz with a blowout bash complete with an open bar and all-you-can-eat buffet. Enjoy sausages, German potato salad, a variety of charcuterie, cheese and more. Proceeds benefit the Friends of the South Street Police Mini-Station. Guests are required to donate a minimum of $20 to take part in the merriment. Deal.
When: Thursday, June 26, 7 p.m.-midnight
Where: Brauhaus Schmitz, 718 South Street
Cost: $20 Minimum Donation
• Free Beer and Cheese Happy Hour at Di Bruno Bros.: Raise a glass to Thursday as Di Bruno Bros. hosts its weekly free beer and cheese happy hour. Tonight, sip three beers from Allagash Brewing Company and a variety of cheese and small plates — from blue cheese to a blondie dessert treat — that complement the beer.
When: Thursday, June 26, 5-7 p.m.
Where: Di Bruno Bros. Franklin Market, 9th and Sansom Streets
• 76ers Draft Party: Watch the 76ers draft at a number of locations across the city as bars from Center City to the suburbs host watch parties. Presented by Coors Light, 76 bars in the tri-state area are joining the basketball action. Participating bars include Fox and Hound, Chickie’s and Pete’s, Bierstube and Irish Pub. For the full list of participating bars, click here.
When: Thursday, June 26, 7 p.m.
Where: Participating locations
Cost: Pay as you go
• International Cheesemakers Rock Stars Dinner: Fill up on a decadent mill at Di Bruno Brothers as it hosts an International Cheesemakers Rock Stars Dinner, a six-course dinner featuring cheese from all over the world. Brooklyn Brewery provides the sips for the six-courses. The event raises funds for theDaphne Zepos Teaching Award, a scholarship that aims to continue the teachings of cheese professionals. Tickets are $100 per person and are available online.
When: Thursday, June 26, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Di Bruno Brothers, 1730 Chestnut Street